Overflowing gutters are a sure way of telling that your gutters and downspouts in Atlanta are clogged with leaves, twigs, and other debris. This debris has caused the gutter to fill with water and any excess rainwater runs over the edge of the channel and falls down like a waterfall causing loads of problems. Here are the reasons why.
- If your gutters are clogged, rainwater will become trapped and eventually run over. Just like a sink with a clogged drain, if the water is on it will eventually fill and overflow. The only way to remedy this is to remove the obstruction by having the gutters cleaned by a professional service and making sure there are no other obstructions or reasons why the water is getting trapped.
- Your gutter downspouts are essentially the drainpipe of your gutter system and they can get clogged too. Downspouts have to be cleaned out just as often as the gutters that flow into them. Downspouts can be damaged by car doors and other things that crush the narrow pipes and cause leaves to clog inside. Water may be flowing from the gutters into them but once they fill up, the gutters will start to back up as well.
- You may have a broken screen or guard that has become lodged in the gutter causing it to overflow. If a screen is broken it is often because a tree branch has fallen on it and it is now pushed into the gutter channel. Once it is caught inside, it will trap leaves and debris and cause a clog.
- The final reason why water runs over your gutters may be because the gutters are too small for the amount of rain landing on your roof. Older gutters may be only 4 inches wide which is too small for many homes – especially in areas that experienced greater rainfall. A minimum of 5 inch gutters are standard nowadays and it is not unheard of to have 6 inch gutters in many areas in order to properly catch all the rainwater and carry it away from your roof safely.
As we said, overflowing gutters are a sure sign that there is a problem with your gutters and that you need a professional to look at them and probably clean them too. Our local technicians are very experienced with all of the reasons why your gutters are overflowing, how to locate those problems, and what to do about them in the safest and most efficient way possible. Click or call for a free quote, with no obligation or home appointment required, from Clean Pro Gutter Cleaning today.
- How Much Does it Cost to Clean Gutters in Atlanta GA?
- Are Gutter Guards Worth it in Atlanta GA?
- How Do Professionals Clean Gutters in Atlanta GA?
- Do you Really Need Gutters in Atlanta GA?
- Why Does Water Run Over My Gutters in Atlanta GA?
- What Time of Year is Best for Gutter Cleaning in Atlanta GA?
- How Do you Clean Gutters on a Two Story House in Atlanta GA?